Oscar Health


As a product management intern at Oscar, I worked on the M.A.R.S. (Marketing, Acquisition, Retention, and Sales) team which is responsible for preparing the company for the busiest and perhaps most important time of year, Open Enrollment. During my 11-week internship, I spearheaded the redesign of member ID cards and helped architect early parts of a company-wide product analytics effort.

ID Cards


While at Oscar, I led the redesign of member ID cards in preparation for the major company deadline each year, Open Enrollment. At first what seemed like a narrowly scoped project revealed itself to be nebulous and full of unknowns.

The previous ID Cards had several problems that contributed to complexity and burdensome costs. Primarily, there were too many templates and permutations which led to printing mistakes and made it more difficult to maintain the system as plans changed.

First I collected institutional knowledge from all the stakeholders and from the employees who previously worked on the ID cards. This group included: legal, provider systems, Oscar members, Oscar concierge, providers, design and our partners used for printing and shipping. From there, I was able to formulate a set of requirements and “facts” that we could work off to come up with a better system.

Based on the requirements, I proposed several design concepts and I conducted surveys of both members and care team members to arrive at a recommendation. The results indicated that a hybrid of several of the concepts was the best way to proceed, and I wrote up a one-page making a suggestion. Then, I collaborated with the marketing and product teams to simplify and improve the proposal into a high-level design brief that could be shared with the team responsible for designing the cards.

I worked to make the new design as modular as possible, so that we could go from dozens of templates to one main template and one alternate template, and from hundreds of permutations to the lower-limit of a couple dozen. I mapped all plans to these permutations and documented how they might be generated in code once the design was finalized.

Rendering Optimization

It was apparent that the process we used to print and deliver the ID cards introduced too many steps that were out of our control, especially during error-prone processes like template rendering. So, I wrote a proposal to in-house the rendering step and instead deliver a PDF to our partner, ready for printing. Though I wasn’t at the company long enough to measure the outcome, this change will hopefully lead to improved fulfillment and cost reduction.

Member Acquisition

Design Improvements

Because Open Enrollment was coming up, multiple efforts were in place to improve the acquisition funnel. I went through the flow many times, checking all possible paths, and came up with a list of UX design improvements that would hopefully lead to greater matriculation. Additionally, to deepen my understand of potential users and centralize the member acquisition journey across various channels, I drafted a “non-member story.”


I also wanted to take a data-driven approach to understanding user behavior through this funnel and worked with marketing to look at the various analytics data we’re collecting. I wrote some code and generated high-level charts to develop some understanding of the funnel. While I was working on that, I found that there was a lack of more granular tracking data on some parts of the website, and wrote up a proposal to add more event-level analytics to the website. Within the proposal, I designed a schema for understanding member behavior through the website better.

The changes I proposed will provide insight into:

  • What locations to expand into next
  • High-level member needs and behavior
  • Friction in the acquisition funnel